You will need to show one acceptable photo identification card (photo ID) whenever you vote in person. This is Virginia law for all voters.
Many types of photo ID are acceptable for voting in Virginia. You only need to show ONE acceptable photo ID to vote.
Photo IDs can be used to vote up to one year after the ID has expired.
Acceptable forms of valid identification:
- Virginia driver’s license
- Virginia DMV-issued photo ID
- United States passport
- Employer-issued photo ID
- Student photo ID issued by a school, college, or university located in Virginia
- Other U.S. or Virginia government-issued photo ID
- Tribal enrollment or other tribal photo ID
- Virginia Voter Photo ID card
Need a photo ID?
If you don’t have an ID, simply go to your nearest voter registration office (755 Roanoke Street, Christiansburg, in Montgomery County) to get a free Voter Photo ID, even on Election Day! You will be required to complete a application, have your photo taken, and to sign a digital signature pad. The Virginia Voter Photo ID card is valid for voting purposes only.